Do you host a blog?
What do you talk about?
How do you attract followers
Blogging platforms available
I obviously host a blog, your looking at one! When I started the Anglers Rest blog it was 2002. It was the early days of blogging. What exactly did one put on a blog? and how do they differ from web pages?
Anglers Rest was formed and was, and still is a reflection of MY world - books, genealogy, holiday and anything else that takes my fancy. Since those early days I have developed other blogs, those that relate to specific projects -
- Orlando One Name Study
- Worship One Name Study
- Puttenham One Place Study
- Grave Encounters
- Guildford and District, a Pictorial History
- Understanding CPD and Getting the Most from it
I also contribute to Historical Tapestry a blog devoted to historical fiction.
I also write several columns -
Personally, my blog(s) are MY space. It is an opportunity to share whatever is on my mind. The wonderful thing is that over the course of the time I have written my blog I have received comments and built friendships from fellow readers.
Where can you host a blog?
The most popular are Wordpress & Blogger which is linked to Google. I prefer the latter, although have a small project (Loose Ends) on Wordpress to see how I get on.
- Be mindful of what to include on your blog. Remember about the sensible stuff, not writing about your boss or naming your employer and then having a whinge!
- Personal & hobbies
- Work related
- Comment on other similiar blogs - develop blog friendships with likeminded bloggers
- Blog Hops
- This is where a topic is posted about on several blogs and the link on YOUR blog shared with the host - usually via a linky. An example of this is the Progressive Book Group
- Writing Prompts
- There is a whole series of blogging prompts for the genealogists located at Geneabloggers
Having a blog and writing regularly - say twice a week or so along with reading and commenting on others will gain your place in the blogosphere. On the whole, it is a friendly, helpful, supportive and informative place and one that should be enjoyed.
So do you blog?
Are you going to change your blogging habits?
Are you going to create a blog?